welcome to buchanhaven holidays
Check & Book
Check our availability calendar and book your stay at Buchanhaven Orkney online today!
Buchanhaven Cottage is a unique self-catering house situated on the outskirts of Kirkwall in the Orkney Islands. It is aimed specifically at people with dementia in that attention has been paid to lighting, colours and signage. However, the cottage is available for holiday lets to anyone who needs a little bit of extra help or support. Adults and children with autism or mental health problems will be equally as welcome, and support will be offered as required. The cottage is wheelchair accessible but lifts/hoists are not part of the building's equipment. The cottage is in fact open to anyone who wishes a holiday in the Orkney Islands, whether you need extra assistance or not.
Buchanhaven Cottage is owned and managed by Marilyn Buchan. Marilyn has worked in nursing for the past 25 years, mainly in dementia, mental health and rehabilitation settings. Last year she became one of Scotland's first Dementia Champions. Dementia is very close to her heart as her own father suffered with dementia before he died. Buchanhaven was the name of the family home, and Buchanhaven Cottage has been opened in memory of both her parents – Annie Jean and Willie Buchan.
The cottage has just recently been renovated to a high standard and all appliances are new. The city and royal burgh of Kirkwall is within 10 minutes' walking distance, as are the pier, main bus terminal and taxi ranks. The Leisure Centre at Pickaquoy is also within walking distance, as are supermarkets, hotels, restaurants and pubs. Kirkwall also has many places of historic interest, such as St Magnus Cathedral, Bishops Palace, Earls Palace, and Tankerness Museum and Gardens.
Holidays can be taylored for each individual with services offered to suit the person's needs. Taxi services from NorthLink Ferries, Pentland Ferries or Kirkwall Airport can be pre-arranged if required.
A food package of Orkney fare will be offered on arrival, as will complimentary toiletries from the Orkney Soap Company.
Buchanhaven Holidays will try to accommodate any request – big or small – to ensure you have a happy holiday.
- See LINKS for transport services and Euans Guide
- Parking for one car is available right at the door of the property
- Chipped road with concrete area at entrance door
- External entrance door of property is 85cm (2'9") wide
- Entrance corridor has banister along right side and is 91cm (2.11") wide
- Internal doors are all 82cm (2'8") wide
- inside house all level access, no rugs
- Wet room has rail at left side of toilet if sitting, right if you are standing
- shower has 2 rails in front with ample room for
- carer to assist behind curtains
- Patio doors open onto level concrete patio which is all fenced
- furniture can be re-arranged to suit
- Hoist, raised toilet seat and shower chair by prior arrangement can be supplied