welcome to buchanhaven holidays
Check & Book
Check our availability calendar and book your stay at Buchanhaven Orkney online today!
Buchanhaven Cottage is a unique self-catering house situated on the outskirts of Kirkwall in the Orkney Islands. The cottage is open to anyone wishing a holiday in Orkney but has been designed with dementia in mind in that attention has been paid to lighting, colours and signage. People with mental health problems are welcome as are people with physical handicaps. The cottage is wheelchair accessible but lifts/hoists are not part of the building's equipment. With plenty of prior notice extra equipment can be made available.
Buchanhaven Cottage is owned and managed by Marilyn Buchan. Marilyn has worked in nursing for over 25 years, mainly in dementia, mental health and rehabilitation settings. Marilyn was one of Scotland's first Dementia Champions and is now secretary to Dementia Friendly Orkney. Dementia is very close to her heart as her own father suffered with dementia before he died. Buchanhaven was the name of the family home, and Buchanhaven Cottage has been opened in memory of both her parents – Annie Jean and Willie Buchan.
The cottage was renovated to a high standard a few years ago and is well equipped. The city and royal burgh of Kirkwall is within 10 minutes walking distance, as are the pier, main bus terminal and taxi ranks. The Leisure Centre at Pickaquoy is also within walking distance, as are supermarkets, hotels, restaurants and pubs. Kirkwall also has many places of historic interest, such as St Magnus Cathedral, Bishops Palace, Earls Palace, and Tankerness Museum and Gardens.
Holidays can be taylored for each individual with services offered to suit the person's needs. Taxi services from NorthLink Ferries, Pentland Ferries or Kirkwall Airport can be pre-arranged if required.
A food package of Orkney fare will be offered on arrival, as will complimentary toiletries from the Orkney Soap Company.
Buchanhaven Holidays will try to accommodate any request – big or small – to ensure you have a happy holiday.
- See LINKS for transport services and Euans Guide
- Parking for one car is available right at the door of the property
- Chipped road with concrete area at entrance door
- External entrance door of property is 85cm (2'9") wide
- Entrance corridor has banister along right side and is 91cm (2.11") wide
- Internal doors are all 82cm (2'8") wide
- inside house all level access, no rugs
- Wet room has rail at left side of toilet if sitting, right if you are standing
- shower has 2 rails in front with ample room for
- carer to assist behind curtains
- Patio doors open onto level concrete patio which is all fenced
- furniture can be re-arranged to suit
- Hoist, raised toilet seat and shower chair by prior arrangement can be supplied